[Originally posted on August 21, 2013 on www.optimizedoffices.com]
I am sorry that you won’t be able to celebrate my birthday with me this year. So I decided to give you a present. I decided to honor you with a concert that will benefit Alzheimer’s Research. There are so many things about this event that you will be pleased to hear…
- Friends are sharing photos of their loved ones who have been stricken with AD. You know from going through this with your mother how Alzheimer’s takes away the identities of its victims. That is why we are collecting photos of Alzheimer’s victims “in their prime”, to honor who they were.
- The Saloon at the NC Music Factory has donated their venue. Yee Haw!
- Volunteers are stepping forward to offer their talents – including Sheila Neisler Catalyst – A Marketing Company who donated marketing services, Ann Edenfield who is serving as our vivacious Emcee, Josh Herbert who has donated his photography skills, and a team of willing Rotarians who will work the door, sell CDs and help with things that arise during the event.
- Two Rotary Districts are supporting this benefit: Rotary District 7750 in Upstate SC, and Rotary District 7680 in the Charlotte region of NC. When I mentioned this project to the District Governors, the only question they had was: How can we help? Rotarians are inspiring!
- Friends, old and new, are coming out to celebrate. Some are coming for the music. Some are coming because they are fans of CARTFUND.org. Some are coming for the chance to tease me about my odometer turning over to a nice round number. I am looking forward to welcoming each and every one.
There is another, very important reason why I know that news of this benefit will make you happy. That reason is the organization that will benefit from the event. This spring, I learned about CARTFUND.org, and the meticulously prudent way it provides grants for Alzheimer’s Research. You will be glad to know that…
- CARTFUND.org gives 100% of all funds received to Alzheimer’s Research. It’s charter sets a high bar for financial stewardship.
- CARTFUND.org supports cutting edge Alzheimer’s Research. This is critical, as there is still so much we do not know about AD – from how to diagnose and prevent it, to how to cure it.
- CARTFUND.org received more than 80 grant requests in 2012. It was only able to support two grants with financial backing. That means that many promising research projects were left unfunded.
The last time you visited me, it confused and agitated you. My home has become a strange and frightening place to you. It broke my heart to see you try all the doors, looking for the way out. Since you are safe and happy in your new home, I will be content with you being there, while we celebrate for you here. Thank you for being my Mom. I hope you are as proud of me as I am of you. – With love from Barbara
“Makin’ Memories to Benefit Alzheimer’s Research” will be on Friday, August 23, 2013 at The Saloon at the NC Music Factory in Charlotte NC. Doors open at 5 pm. Verlon Thompson and Shawn Camp will perform from 6-8 pm. Every dollar collected goes to cutting edge Alzheimer’s Research through http://www.cartfund.org Advance tickets are available for $10 through 8/22/13. Tickets will be available at the door for $20. Photos of Alzheimer’s patients “in their prime” can be emailed to:
You may also enjoy…